Thursday, June 25, 2009

Hot Hot Hot

My word, it has been hotter than hot here the past few days!! The last two days in a row we had temps in the mid-90s plus high humidity. That makes for some pretty unbearable times when you have no a/c - which is the case for me at home, in the car, and at work, so pretty much all the time.
Yesterday I managed to run errands and enjoyed going in to the a/c zones of the store and the library. Today I was not so lucky - today I had to work. At one point (around 6pm) I got an outdoor thermometer off of the shelf and brought it out to our work area. Within 10 minutes it was reading 92 degrees (in the shade). Someone got the idea to put it out in the sun to see how much hotter it was out there. Set it down on the cement slab and within 5 minutes it had maxed out at over 120 degrees. Is it any wonder that very little physical work was done today? Thankfully there was little enough to do that nobody really complained about us lazing around.

I still have my sunscreen/sunblock issue. Every one I use reacts badly with my sweat and turns my clothes orange. It's nothing that is visible on my skin, and on a dark shirt it does not show, but I should not have to choose between spending the entire summer in dark clothes, ruining everything I wear, or getting sunburned every day. This is extremely frustrating. Even more frustrating is that the sunscreen seems to hold on to my skin longer than one would expect. I wore sunscreen YESTERDAY but did not apply TODAY. However, the shirt I wore TODAY is the one that got orange sunscreen stains on it. The one from yesterday is fine. I don't know why that is, but that's the status. Tomorrow I will need sunscreen again, but tomorrow I will be wearing a swimsuit and I don't care if that gets stained by my sunscreen. In this case, I'd rather have a stained swimsuit than a painful sunburn across my back and shoulders.
I can't help but wonder if it's related somehow to having had my gallbladder out last summer. I never had a problem with it before last July, around the same time I started having the really bad painful gallstone attacks. I had my gallbladder out in August, and didn't need/use sunscreen the rest of the season. Now this year I am completely without a gallbladder, and I'm still having the problem. Maybe it's a coincidence, but maybe it's not. Hard to say.

No comments: