Friday, July 06, 2007

Sewing Still

Lucky me I found a new lead for my sewing projects. A cousin of my mum's has two kids who are in show skating. She is going to hook me up so that I can go to skating events and sell practice outfits (skirts mostly, but some dresses) and through that possibly get some orders for actual competition costumes! The practice outfits alone usually run close to $50 - and show/competition costumes can be $100 and up, depending on their complexity. This is a very good opportunity for me! If I can get into the skating scene, that plus what I pick up in general clothing orders will really help me to make a good argument for taking a pay cut of $40 per week to switch to a job that will let me be healthier & happier.

So far, because I'm trying to get the word out about what I do, I am doing a lot of freebies. I make something and give it to someone, hoping that that person will then order more from me and send people my way. Not much luck yet, but I have made a very cute baseball outfit for my niece to wear to Sunday's game. We're going to watch the Detroit Tigers (hopefully) stomp the Boston Red Sox. I will have plenty of business cards on me, so whenever someone compliments her outfit I can say, "I made that for her. Here's my card." Since it is a Sunday, kids will be able to run the bases after the game, so there will be a lot of kids and parents there. Hopefully I'll get a few leads!

No comments: